Friends of the Blue Hills
Would you like to grow a local conservation organization? The Friends of the Blue Hills seeks an energetic and highly-motivated candidate to fill the newly created position of Associate Director. The Associate Director will work with the Executive Director and Board of Trustees to increase our effectiveness in all areas of the organization, particularly strengthening efforts in development and communications.
The Friends of the Blue Hills is a volunteer-led organization dedicated to protecting and preserving the Blue Hills Reservation in its natural state and serve as a watchdog of activities that might adversely affect it. To accomplish this we: 1) Advocate for actions that will enhance the Reservation; 2) Encourage involvement in the protection and preservation of the Reservation by all users; 3) Guide enthusiasts in exploring the nearby remoteness of the BHR through educational, historical, and nature hikes; and 4) Work with the Massachusetts DCR to maintain the quality of the Reservation and provide public input for its management.
The Associate Director will report to the Executive Director. Because FBH does not have a central office, the Associate Director will work from home. Duties will include communications, fundraising, community organizing, program coordination and volunteer management. We are looking for someone who is willing to become a jack-of-all trades, with a track record in the following areas:
- Development: Work with Executive Director and Trustees to increase develop direct mail solicitation strategy and materials; cultivate, solicit and steward major donors and prospects; and manage volunteers in fundraising events.
- Marketing and communications: Develop the overall marketing and communications strategy for print and electronic communications.
Required Skills and Experience
- At least 2 years experience in fundraising
- Successful track record of cultivating new major donors
- Ability to think strategically, work independently, and lead by example
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to identify, develop and mentor staff and leaders
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed
- Strong writing skills
- Self motivated
- Interest in the Blue Hills or land protection desired
- Access to a car is necessary
Hours: 20 hours/week, flexible hours, some evening and weekend hours required
To Apply: Send a resume, cover letter to Judy@FriendsoftheBlueHills.org with “Application for Associate Director Position” in the subject line.