Friends of the Blue Hills
Volunteer and Program Manager
Would you like to build and grow volunteer programs that engage hundreds of people in preserving and protecting one of the largest parks in the area? The Friends of the Blue Hills seeks a candidate to fill the newly created position of Volunteer and Program Manager. The Volunteer and Program Manager will support and increase volunteer leadership in hands-on and virtual programs that help care for the trails and forests, and increase our understanding of what the park needs through citizen-based research initiatives.
The Friends of the Blue Hills (FBH) is a 1,000-member non-profit organization devoted to preserving and protecting the Blue Hills Reservation’s natural beauty, diverse natural habitats and many recreational opportunities. To accomplish this we: advocate for actions that will enhance the Reservation and serve as watchdog of activities that might adversely affect it; guide enthusiasts in exploring the nearby remoteness of the Blue Hills Reservation through educational, historical, and nature hikes; encourage involvement in the protection and preservation of the Reservation by all users; work with the Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR) to maintain the quality of the Reservation and provide public input for its management.
The Volunteer and Program Manager will report to the Executive Director. Because the Friends of the Blue Hills does not have a central office, the Volunteer and Program Manager will work from home, and lead programs in the park and develop virtual programs for all ages. Duties will include outreach, program development and coordination, and volunteer management.
- Work with Programming Committee to develop programs that best serve our members and park visitors
- Manage virtual and in-person outreach programs for all ages
- Recruit, coordinate and manage volunteers for outreach and stewardship programs
- Manage volunteer programs to maintain trails and control invasive species. Support Trail Committee as needed to manage monthly trail maintenance events.
- Support volunteers as needed in obtaining permissions and required permits from state and local officials for trail maintenance projects.
- Work as a team with Board and staff to help communicate the successes of the programs and opportunities for growth.
- Strong organizational skills
- Enthusiasm to take on a variety of projects as they arise
- Self-motivated and self-starter
- Excellent writing skills
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed
- Interest in the Blue Hills or land protection
- Access to a car is necessary
- Experience in community organizing
- Degree in or knowledge of ecology and invasive species
- Knowledge of and experience in trail maintenance
Hours: 20 – 25 hours/week, flexible hours, some evening and weekend hours required.
To apply: Send a resume and cover letter to Judy@FriendsoftheBlueHills with “Application for Volunteer and Program Manager ” in the subject line.
The Friends of the Blue Hills is committed to cultivating a diverse staff that is representative of the communities we serve. Applications from individuals having diverse backgrounds and life experiences are strongly encouraged. We are open to the possibility that a great candidate for this job may not precisely meet all of the above criteria; if you believe you’re the right person for this job and can persuasively make that case, we encourage you to apply.