Friends of the Blue Hills
Trail Maintenance Associate
Do you like overseeing volunteers? Like being outdoors? Would you like a couple opportunities over the next three to six months to lead volunteers in maintaining the Blue Hills? The Friends of the Blue Hills seeks an outgoing, energetic candidate to lead volunteer corporate, youth and community groups in maintaining the trails and removing invasive species. The Trail Maintenance Associates needs to be available on weekdays and an occasional weekend.
The Friends of the Blue Hills is a volunteer-led organization dedicated to protecting and preserving the Blue Hills Reservation in its natural state and serve as a watchdog of activities that might adversely affect it. To accomplish this we: 1) Advocate for actions that will enhance the Reservation; 2) Encourage involvement in the protection and preservation of the Reservation by all users; 3) Guide enthusiasts in exploring the nearby remoteness of the Blue Hills Reservation through educational, historical, and nature hikes; and 4) Work with Mass Parks to maintain the quality of the Reservation and provide public input for its management.
The Trail Maintenance Associates will report to the Executive Director. The Friends of the Blue Hills does not have a central office. Duties will include, but not be limited to:
- Identifying trail work (in coordination with trail leaders)
- Overseeing volunteer groups, with an emphasis on safety, proper use of tools and the satisfaction of volunteers
Duties may also include outreach to corporate, community and youth group
Required Skills and Experience
- Volunteer activities or management
- Ability to work independently, and lead by example
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Willingness to work as needed during the week and occasional weekends
- Self motivated
- Interest in the Blue Hills or land protection desired
- Familiarity with trail maintenance and invasive species preferred, but not required
- Access to a car is necessary
Hours: As needed, flexible hours. Up to five hours a week, but not every week.
To Apply: Send resume and cover letter to info@FriendsoftheBlueHills with “Application for Trail Associate” in the subject line.