Volunteering with FBH
People like you are our greatest resource. A variety of opportunities are available to fit your interests, talents, and schedule. Let us know how you’d like to get involved! Call 781-828-1805 or email: info@FriendsoftheBlueHills.org.
Help Our Trails and Our Forests
- Individual Trail Events: Join a work party of FBH volunteers. Tools will be supplied, just bring your hands, gloves, some water and a smile. To get notices of the next trail event, visit our trail maintenance page and sign up for the yahoo group at the bottom of the page. We also list all the trail maintenance dates on the trail maintenance page.
- Adopt-A-Trail: It’s not just for highways and traffic islands. Contact us and choose a trail (or section of trail), or ask for a suggestion. We’ll provide training – and furnish you with a tip sheet and report form. Adoption commitments are for a minimum of two years. Just let us know by e-mail each time you work on the trail, if you need help, and the state of the trail before and afterwards.
Outreach and Events
- Event Planning: Help plan events, like work party days and other programs designed to raise awareness and garner public support for the park. Volunteers are part of a well-run committee, dedicated to accomplishing the maximum effect with the fewest number of meetings.
- Adopt-A-Trail Advocate: Advocate for the Reservation among the park’s corporate constituents. Contact companies and introduce them to the program. You will be furnished with a kit, including background on the Reservation, program requirements, and sample tip sheets and reports for potential adopters.
- Outreach in the Park: The park itself is the best place to find supporters and potential members. Help us reach the people who care most about the park by spending a few hours in the park collecting signatures, tabling at an event, or distributing raffle tickets.
- Campaign-related Activities: Every potential threat to the park – whether it’s lack of funding for key park resources or potentially damaging proposals from developers – requires FBH to adopt a different approach. Learn about one of these issues and some of the methods used in a campaign. Activities could include organizing a letter-writing campaign, sending letters to the editor, or working with other groups to promote the issue.
Administrative opportunities – Tying it all together
- Database Coordinator: Help enter data and generate reports using the Trails Database.
General Volunteer Opportunities
- Web site: Help with posting, updating, and modifying the FBH website and blog, our most public face.
- Newsletter: Publish with us! Submit your photos and write articles! Use your experience with desktop publishing to help us reach our members!
- Administration: Help get mailings out. We have over 1600 members and we want to reach them all!