What can you do for personal protection?
- Check yourself daily for ticks. They can be as small as the period at the end of a sentence.
- When you go outside, wear long sleeved, light colored, shirts and long pants tucked into socks. This helps keep the ticks off you and makes them easier to spot.
- DEET can be used on your skin but only apply permethrin to clothing that doesn’t come in contact with the skin.
How can you maintain your property to reduce the risk of Lyme disease?
- Keep the grass cut short.
- Remove leaf litter and brush from around your home.
- Prune low-lying brush to let in more sunlight.
Photo: Friends of the Blue Hills partnered with the Milton Public Schools and the Milton Town Nurse, Caroline Kinsella to teach fourth grade students about Lyme disease prevention. Caroline is shown above with the Mass Public Health poster indicating where we need to check for ticks.